I’m pushing the boat out a little here. This is not your average quick-fix salad. There is a bit of preparation in this one, and leaving it to ferment for about a month. But it’ll make some super juicy, tasty fermented veg teaming with probiotics and other gut friendlies. Are you ready for the challenge? Serve a small serving with your main meal to aid digestion. Start slow, taking no more than 1-3 forkfuls per day to start off with. Allow your gut to get used to this.
- Wash and slice the vegetables into 1cm thick slices. Peel and quarter the shallot.
- Now, layer them into the Kilner jars one layer at a time. Place some peppercorns, mustard.
- Seeds and fresh dill leaves between the layers. Stop at 6cm below the jar top.
- Next, bring 1.2l water to a boil, add the salt, and pour it over the vegetables until they’re covered.
- Close the jars tightly and put them away in a dark space at room temperature for a week.
- Place them into the fridge for another 3 weeks before starting to eat. Enjoy!