This is the season for tomatoes. I came across this idea of marinating tomatoes on my lookout for a lovely summer BBQ salad. It’s basically a twist on the standard mozzarella/tomato/basil side dish. If you can be organized enough, this treat of a tomato salad only takes an hour to marinate before it turns the tomatoes into something truly delicious.
- For the marinade dressing, heat the oil in a pan, add the garlic, ginger and chilli flakes.
- Briefly mix it for one minute. Take off the heat and stir in the white wine/rice vinegar, soy sauce and sugar, and mix. Allow to cool.
- Slice the beef tomatoes into ¼ inch (or less) slices.
- Put them into a large bowl with about half of the cooled marinade and cover well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes.
- To serve, take the marinated tomatoes out of the fridge, decorate on a serving plate alongside the sliced mozzarella and drizzle on the remainder of the dressing/marinade.
- Ready to serve!