A warming winter stew, yet also light and seriously nourishing. You can cook ahead and reheat the following day, so it’s handy to have as next-day lunch. Carrots are winter root vegetables full of beta-carotene and complex carbs. Add sweet potatoes or squash to this casserole if you like. I keep it simple. Serve with rice or boiled potatoes, leeks or boiled cabbage.
- Chop the onions, add olive oil and sweat them in a deep pan over medium heat for 4-5 mins. Stir regularly.
- While the onions are sweating, peel and slice the carrots into ½-inch thick rounds.
- Add the diced chicken breast once the onions start to sweat properly, fry them on all sides for a few minutes.
- Add a little water (maybe ½ glass), ½ of the stock pot, the carrots and thyme.
- Stir everything well, cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Add more stock pot if needed. Otherwise, it is ready to serve.
- Serve with steamed rice or boiled potatoes and cabbage, leeks or peas.