Winter veg soup is actually very easy to make, it is full of flavour, satisfying, contains large amounts of soluble and insoluble fibre that feeds the gut and the immune system, and is rich in colourful bioflavonoids that also nourish the immune system. Oh, and did I mention and abundance of vitamins and minerals already?
Be creative with the veg you use. Don’t limit yourself to those I use in this recipe. Once you add an onion you can literally add anything. I do like adding either a courgette or a potato as these add structure to the soup and give it a creamy consistency.
- In a medium deep pan, heat some olive oil, add chopped onion and sweat over a low heat for a few minutes.
- Once the onions start to sweat, add the vegetables and stock, stir everything really well, increase the heat to bring everything to a boil.
- Cover and allow to simmer over medium to low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Using a handheld mixer or a kitchen machine, blend until you have achieved a really smooth consistency.
- Add more stock if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Ready to serve!